5 Martin Place is an exemplar in heritage led urban renewal re-establishing the importance of the 1916 “Money Box” within Martin Place. The project by JPW and TKD Architects in collaboration, evolved from a site specific LEP developed with the City of Sydney. It respects views from the Cenotaph and overshadowing of Pitt Street Mall, reinforces the sandstone and trachyte precinct character and recreates a linked sequence of accessible spaces that support a diversity of uses.
Innovative structural design has enabled the tower to cantilever over the existing building such that no additional load is applied to the heritage building. The project features integrated chilled beams, double skin facades, reuse of original trachyte and conservation of Joseph Albers “Wrestling”. Perceived heritage constraints have been turned into commercial opportunities, with the combination of contemporary workplaces and heritage tower floors both attracting premium tenants.