50 Martin Place is a global financial headquarters which has been uniquely shaped by Macquarie Group’s contemporary workplace ideology and the decision to adapt and re-use a neglected but significant 1928 Inter-War Beaux Arts bank building. With 20,000m2 of rare campus-size floorplates on Martin Place, Sydney’s civic space, and as an historic bank building, the new workplace has strong connections to the city and to place and has been embraced for its authenticity.
An enlarged 10-storey central atrium fills the building with natural light and is the heart of this engaging and transformative new workplace. The expansive and open-edged void reconfigures 6 separate business groups as one collaborative organization and for the first time connects more than 2000 people over 9 cutting-edge office floors. A new corporate address is established within a sensitive Banking Chamber deeply embedded in Sydney’s banking history through contemporary insertions, including world-first glass capsule lifts which enliven inactive heritage interiors.