A contemporary rooftop addition and extensive internal transformation renews this nationally important heritage asset as the new global headquarters of Macquarie Group. The intelligent re-use of the grand 1920’s Martin Place bank building capitalizes on the inherent strengths of the original architecture including large sidecore floorplates, a regular column grid and central atrium. It features an enlarged and lightfilled atrium as the heart of the new workplace, and the worlds-first capsule lifts deliver clients to conference and meeting spaces within a fine steel and glass roof dome. 50 Martin Place is a building of high cultural, social and economic significance for Sydney and the refurbishment broadens its significance by establishing a new benchmark for sustainable design through building re-use.
“50 Martin Place is without doubt one of the most significant heritage refurbishments in Australian history… The project will be remembered for the roof, the stairs and the glass lifts – but there is, as we know, so much more.”
Will Walker and Michael Silman, Macquarie Group